Back to all news

How to handle Utility Providers when Moving Home

Get in touch

How to handle Utility Providers when moving

Moving home can be frustrating, time consuming and sometimes stressful. One of the main reasons for this is that we have to deal with the faceless administrative procedures of all those utilities companies!

As with all contact with large companies, there is an element of luck involved in how you can expect things to go, although clear and concise communication in good time will help you enormously. And keep records.

With electricity, gas, water and cable / broadband providers, notify them of your move as soon as you have a confirmed completion date. Check your supply contracts (especially for cable and broadband) as you may have time left on your contract or be required to give a fixed period of notice. In the case of most utility suppliers, informing them of your completion date at least 48 hours in advance is probably sufficient. Make sure you also provide details of your new address so that they can send you a final bill.

On the day you move home, take meter readings of all supply meters and report them to your supplier. It’s a good idea to make a note of all the readings and leave it somewhere prominent as a reminder for the new occupier to take their own readings too. Taking a photograph of each meter reading is useful for record keeping.

When you get to your new home, again, take meter readings and photograph the meters.

To find out who supplies the gas to your new home, phone the meter number helpline on 0870 608 1524. To find out who supplies the electricity to your new Bracknell property, contact the local electricity distribution company. Its telephone number will be in the telephone directory under ‘Electricity’. You should ask for the company’s meter point administration service (MPAS).

When you move in you will take over supply on a deemed supply basis and it is important that you explore your options for supplier sooner rather than later as you will almost certainly be on an uncompetitive contract!

If your new home has a prepayment meter, you will need to arrange for a new top up key or card to be delivered.

You should also notify the post office that you have moved and you might wish to set up a mail redirection service for 6 months so that you don’t miss any important mail. You can do this online here. There is a charge for this but it does reduce hassle. For information on schools, etc go to our Bracknell information page.

In addition to utilities, you will need to inform the local authority of the date you move so that they can cease billing you for any outstanding council tax and issue a final statement. This can usually be done online by going to the council’s website and searching for the council tax section. You will also want to inform the new authority of your date of occupancy for the same reason. Remember to register to vote!

If you are moving into a new area you may be required to prove ID. If you are moving within the same area (i.e. within the area of Bracknell Forest) then the Local Authority will simply amend their records accordingly.

Get in touch
Related article
How could the General Election help home movers? General news

How could the General Election help home movers?

We are hiring a Sales Valuer General news

We are hiring a Sales Valuer

Winning Letting Agent for Bracknell! General news

Winning Letting Agent for Bracknell!

FInd out - how much is my property is worth?